Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus)
- Bilberry fruits contain larger amounts of catechin-type tannins.
- Acetylcholinesterase inhibitor: (Anticholinesterase) Bilberry extract demonstrates moderate Acetylcholinesterase inhibition.
- Inhibiting the acetylcholinesterase enzyme from breaking down acetylcholine, thereby increases both the level and duration of action of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
- There is a strong positive correlation between anticholinesterase activity and total condensed tannins.
- Antioxidant: Anthocyanins represent the main antioxidant compounds in wild berries. Bilberries contain anthocyanins mainly in the form of glucosides, galactosides and arabinosides of cyanidin, delphinidin, malvidin, petunidin and peonidin.
- Chelator: chelation of metal ions
Disease / Symptom Treatment
- Alzheimer's Disease:
- Colorectal cancer:
- 33% bilberry / 67% blackcurrant blend has the best synergistic effect.